COVID-19: Our services have been moved online, as the churches of the Benefice of The Huntspills and Mark are closed until further notice
Five things to know about St. Peter & All Hallows
- 13th Cent ancient jewel of the Somerset levels. A Christian community existed here at Huntspill from before AD 787 when, during the reign of the Saxon King Offa, the manor and land at Huntspill being given to Glastonbury Abbey.
- A list of Rectors from 1278 are displayed on the northeast wall of the Nave.
- The earliest part of the church to be seen now is the Nave with its late 13th century windows, large Ham stone pillars and string courses.
- Effigies in the niche on the South wall probably date from the 14th century and represent the Lord of the Manor, Sir Richard Cogan and his wife Isabella.
- In the December of 1878 a great fire destroyed the roof and interior furnishings, completely gutting the building, leaving only the walls standing and the Ham stone pillars now reddened by the heat of the fire as we see them today.